Wednesday, September 22, 2010

SIMILAC!!!!!! ACK!

So today I found out that Similac is recalling a bunch of formula. Guess what brand of formula we use. DING DING DING! You got it.

I decided to check the container that we just finished last night to see if it was affected in the recall. It was. The entire 1.45 lb container was contaminated with Beetles and Beetle parts. Did you read that?

BEETLE PARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what is included in the term "beetle parts?" LARVAE! Little tiny slimy beetle eggs.

In my daughter's stomach.

I had noticed two little black specks in one of her bottles recently, and I thought it was the dishwasher's fault, so I dumped it and made a new one. Now, I don't know if it was the dishwasher or Beetle parts.

I am horrified. HORRIFIED. I can't think straight right now. Who knows how many containers of formula she's eaten that have been contaminated. Over the past couple weeks, she's started to spit up more often, and she doesn't eat quite as much or with as much gusto as she once did. I assumed it was just natural baby tummy growth/sensitivity changes. Then I read the article that states gastrointestinal problems as a result of the contamination.

So it's official - She has ingested some unknown amount of Beetle and/or Beetle parts and/or Beetle larvae.

As an adoptive mother, who was unable to exclusively breastfeed her daughter, I am so angry. I trust these companies to provide my baby, who depends on formula as her only source of nutrition, a healthy, safe alternative to breastmilk. It's my only option. It's unfair that I now have to be worried about my daughter's safety and well-being because of something that I've mixed up and put in her body.

On top of all that, we don't get WIC or any sort of assistance to pay for our formula. We go through formula very quickly, and that means we're buying a lot of formula. And at approximately 23 dollars a container --- that's a lot of money. And now, I have to live with the fact that I've spent my own money to buy something that has made my daughter sick and that could make her sicker for all I know. All because someone slacked off in quality control.

What makes me angry is the timing. Couldn't they have caught this sooner, or notified us sooner? Our container is completely empty. How could they not have known this sooner? How could they not have let us know sooner?

I am seriously considering switching to Nestle or Enfamil. I worry that the switch could mess with her system... but really, could it cause her any more gastrointestinal distress than swallowing Beetle parts?

I am so upset right now. :(

3 comments:

RELH said...

Same here! I couldn't believe it! I had one container almost used up and one not even open yet here at home...both recalled. I will be taking those back for refunds ASAP! My DH was out when I heard so I sent him for more. The store he went to had heard of the recall but hadn't been given a list yet of what to take off of the shelves... as he picked up the containers I had him read me the lots numbers....everything they had was also being recalled.... I had him buy the liquid half and half for now....

By the way, did you sign up for the S.imilac site? I did and ever since then they send $5 off checks...like 5 at a time. I heard that as long as you continue to use them that they continue to send them! Hope that helps!

Jacksmom said...

The switch should not mess with her system as long as you continue to use the same equivalent. So if you were using Similac Advance, and you switch to Enfamil Lipil, you'll be fine. I don't know anything about Nestle.

Jewls said...

We were using Similac exclusively until just recently. I had no idea about the recall (and we too spend tons of money on formula...ugh). Fortunately I don't think the recall affected us because my husband works for Nestle and we finally cashed in on some vouchers (28 cans of formula-huge blessing) to try and save money. That totally grosses me out, and even more so the fact that I never save our containers so Z could have eaten beetles too...NASTY!

P.S. the Nestle stuff is good. We tried switching Z at two weeks and it was no bueno, but with M being a little older you'll probably be fine!