Thursday, September 9, 2010

Two Months!



Dear Meerkat,
Wow! Time is flying by. I can't believe you're two months old already. Two months ago today, mommy was drugged up on A.lka Se.ltzer Plus and nose spray in order to meet you for the first time. I was so sick I could barely walk, but I wasn't going to miss your grand entrance, even if I had to be carried in to see you. And today, on your two month birthday, mommy is sick again. A.lka Se.ltzer is coursing through my veins as I type this. Let's hope this isn't a trend and that I'm sick every two months on your birthday. :p

Where do I begin to talk about this last month... Parts of it have been extremely rough, and other parts have been pure Heaven. Since your one month birthday, your fussiness increased tenfold. For a couple weeks there, there was no calming you down. Nothing worked. The worst night was Wednesday, September 1st. Daddy had to go to work, and it was just me and you at home alone. I was excited to spend some quality mommy-baby time, but you had other plans. About 15 minutes after daddy left, you started screaming. I don't mean loud cries. I mean blood curdling, lose your voice screams. Eventually you started doing this really weird scream that sounded a bit like hyperventilation. I couldn't calm you down. I tried singing, rocking, your swing, swaddling, unswaddling, pacifier, bottle, diaper change, walking, bouncing, talking, TV... etc. etc. Nothing would work. You spit up about 8 times that day, so we think your little tummy was hurting, but you didn't have a fever and didn't seem sick otherwise. You screamed for about 3.5 hours. By the end of the night, mommy was crying with you. I just decided we'd sit together and do nothing, and we just cried and cried together, until you finally fell asleep. And then you slept for HOURS!

Since that night, your fussiness has begun to wear off. Instead, we are now blessed with more happy baby time. You still don't smile much; we're lucky to see one authentic smile a day. But, you will coo and squeal when you're pleased. You got a new playmat, and you love it! You will stare up at the monkey and lion and coo and coo. You completely ignore the tiger and get really upset if you snag your hand on his dangly red heart.



Now we're just waiting for the giggles to start. I can't wait to hear your laughter.

You tolerate bathtime much better now! But, you still prefer a shower. You also tolerate getting dressed and diaper changes much better than you used to. You'll sometimes even coo while we're changing you.

Your sleep routine is very good at night. You sleep from around 12:30am until 5:30 or 6:00am just about every night. Sometimes we get lucky and you sleep until 7. That's rare though. If we swaddle you tight, you'll sleep from 8pm until your midnight feeding, and then you'll go back to sleep afterward.

Your eyes are still blue, though they are starting to darken just a bit. And, you have one little brown spot in your right eye. Speaking of your eyes... they're huge! You have the most beautiful, big eyes in the world. And your eyelashes are so long and luxurious. You could do mascara commercials. :) People keep commenting that you resemble Daddy. It's interesting, because in some ways you do. I see it right around your eyes. It's amazing how that ends up working out.



Meerkat, you've brought this house so much joy! We're so happy that you're here. It's still unreal to look down at you all curled up in my arms, clutching my chest. I'm so thankful for you.

Love,
Mommy

3 comments:

RELH said...

She is soooo adorable!

Jacksmom said...

She is very cute! Happy 2 months Meerkat!

Chris said...

Wow, what an amazing letter.