Friday, April 29, 2011

Calling all those with curls (or kids with curls)

So, I have curly hair. But it's really just super wavy curls. Usually I just straigthen my hair, and I'm okay with that. But now, I'm faced with the difficult task of caring for a child with curls... and I mean lots of curls. I don't really know how to handle it. Meerkat has the tightest little curls all over her head. I'm trying to figure out how they will look when they grow out (up?) more. Will she just keep getting a larger and larger afro? Or will her curls begin to stretch out a bit? Will they be excessively frizzy? If you have curly hair, or have a child with curly hair, I'd love some tips. Please share your best "curly hair" secrets. I want my daughter to love her hair - and that's going to start with me learning how to manage it.

Also, if you have pictures of your kids (or self) when they were little and then a little older, to help me see how Meerkat's hair might end up looking, I'd love to see them.

5 comments:

Lost in Space said...

Just a lurker hoping to one day follow in your adoption footsteps...

Lots of good info at Belle's Curls and some other great blog links in the sidebar.

Meerkat is adorable. Good luck!

Jewls said...

I have no idea, but her curls are adorable!!

Britt said...

Dd and I have very curly hair. My stylist told me that it is important to not brush curls but use a wide tooth comb instead.

reflections said...

ahh, I left this comment on Sandi's blog. I finally figured out how to post it:

I have naturally curly hair. I mean, REALLY curly. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v726/angandfam/?action=view&current=bighairona3wheeler_001.jpg

It took me 31 years to figure out how to care for it. A HUGE part of it, for me, is going no-poo. Sulfates in shampoo ruin naturally curly hair. I make my own shampoo (post coming soon on my blog w/ recipes) or I use baking soda (a paste slightly thinner than baking soda) and a raw apple cider vinegar rinse (1 tbs/1 cup water). My hair is SO happy. It is moist and my curls are tight, but controlled. Anyway, there is a LOT of info out there for how to achieve shampoo-free hair cleaning for curly hair. Please look into it. I also never, EVER, use a comb or brush. When I get out of the shower I finger brush it and then scrunch. Next day hair I either put into a pony tail or bun or I spray a mist of lavender oil w/ water to "revamp" my curls (and defrizz them).

Stephanie said...

Yay! Thank you all for your feedback! :) And thanks for visiting my blog to those of you who are newcomers. :)